The idea for a center to treat communication disorders originated from a health needs survey conducted by the Danville Jaycees in 1959.
Danville Speech and Hearing Center opened its doors in 1961 in two rooms of the Health Department building. (Corner of Main and Rison St. in Danville, VA where a medical office now sits.)
Danville Speech and Hearing Center became a United Way Agency in the early 1960’s.
Accreditation / Affiliation
Danville Speech and Hearing Center became accredited for professional speech/language pathology services by the American Speech/Language/Hearing Asociation in 1981 and continued until their program phased out in 2004. Currently DSHC is accredited by the National Association of Speech and Hearing Centers. DSHC became a Sertoma Affiliate Center in 1981.